If you are remodeling your kitchen, one of the most important decisions you will have to make concerns the type of countertop you are going to install. The countertop in your kitchen will set the style for the whole room, which is why you need to ensure that you make the right choice when shopping for a new one. In addition to aesthetic considerations, you also need to think about practical aspects such as how easy it will be to keep clean and how well it will stand up to the rigours of life in a busy family kitchen. With all of this in mind, we decided to put together a short guide to help you choose the perfect countertop for your next kitchen remodeling project.
Choosing the Right Countertop for Your Kitchen Renovation
Take a look around the stores in Toronto and the individual companies that produce custom items for kitchens and you will find a wide selection of countertops, made from a variety of different materials. Below, we examine the main material choices and the implications of each one.
- Granite – Natural stone countertops have been popular all over the world for many years, with granite being the stone of choice for numerous homeowners who go down this route when planning a major kitchen renovation. The hard wearing nature of granite and the range of attractive colours in which it is available are two of the key reasons that it is chosen by so many homeowners.
- Marble – The principle attraction of marble is its appearance: if you are aiming to create a truly beautiful kitchen there are few materials that can rival marble. However, it is not as hard wearing as granite and can be susceptible to staining if not resealed on a regular basis. Even then, many people find that its appearance degrades over time. For this reason, you may wish to choose another material for your countertop when planning a kitchen renovation that you hope not to have to repeat for some time to come.
Engineered Quartz – If you like the look of natural stone but would prefer something a little lower maintenance, engineered quartz is a great choice. Available in many colours and no more expensive than granite, this is becoming an increasingly popular option among homeowners in Toronto and worldwide.
- Concrete – The customisation possibilities of concrete, along with its low price, have helped to establish it as an attractive option for homeowners who want to create unique countertops without spending a fortune in the process. However, it does need more maintenance than either granite or engineered quartz.
- Laminate – This is without a doubt the most affordable option currently available so if you want to keep your kitchen renovation costs to a minimum, it is well worth considering. In addition to being the cheapest choice, it is very easy to maintain as well. Perhaps the only downside associated with laminate countertops is that they can be burned quite easily if you place hot pans on them. Also, some people just do not like their appearance.
- Stainless Steel – Heat resistant and, as you would expect, very resistant to stains as well, this is a good option for homeowners who regularly place hot pans on their countertops. However, it does scratch quite easily and is not to everybody’s taste as far as aesthetics are concerned.
Whether you are planning a major kitchen renovation project or you simply wish to replace your existing countertop, VitzReno can perform all the necessary work at very competitive rates. Call today to discuss your requirements in detail.